The 2017 European Heritage Congress in Turku 11–15 May is organised by Europa Nostra, the leading heritage organisation in Europe, in cooperation with its country representation, Europa Nostra Finland, and other members and partners from Finland. As a core activity of Europa Nostra’s network project ‘Mainstreaming Heritage’, the Congress has the support of the Creative Europe programme of the European Union.
Around 300–400 heritage players from all over Europe – professionals and volunteers, members of Europa Nostra and the European Heritage Alliance 3.3, partners from the wider fields of culture and economy, and representatives from various EU institutions and governmental networks – will gather in Turku for the Congress.
With the special focus of our Congress on social participation in heritage planning, we shall contribute to a stronger recognition of cultural heritage as a key resource for Europe, in pursuit of the Europe 2020 strategy and the 10 priorities of the Juncker Commission, which should lead to mainstreaming of heritage into sustainability agendas developed by public and private stakeholders at various levels of governance (currently under discussion).
The meetings of Europa Nostra’s governing bodies will focus on the European Year of Cultural Heritage 2018 and on the latest EU policy developments related to heritage.
The main objectives of the Congress
- demonstrate the diversity and vibrancy of Europe’s civil society actors (both professionals and volunteers) in the field of heritage;
- discuss with a wider network of members and professionals the European Year of Cultural Heritage 2018;
- engage Congress participants through a variety of events including policy discussions, networking events and cultural visits;
- discuss and promote the social participation in heritage protection; and
- expand and structure the Network in Finland.
The Congress will provide a unique platform for international networking, capacity building and peer learning, transnational cooperation and exchanges of views on the latest EU policy developments related to heritage. During the Congress, Europa Nostra will showcase a number of exemplary heritage initiatives in Finland by publishing a new issue of its Heritage in Action magazine entirely dedicated to this country.